Sunday, February 19, 2006

Control issues

If you've been on the planet lately, then you've probably heard about Sudoku, the little number puzzles that initially seem innocuous enough, but upon closer inspection reveal themselves to be part of an insidious plot to take over the world.

I resisted the temptation of these puzzles (being all too certain of the effect they would have on me) until a recent bout of ill health left me speechless for the better part of a week. To pass the time, I started doing the Sudoku puzzles in the daily paper and very quickly I found myself in the throes of addiction. Before long I bought a book of Sudoku puzzles and it's been all downhill from there.

Luckily, my schedule is usually too busy to allow me to do more than a couple (okay, a few) puzzles a day. But this lazy Sunday morning I found myself with a stretch of unfilled leisure time, and while Bud watched PBS I sat next to him on the couch, pulled deeper and deeper into the vortex of the black hole that is Sudoku.

I finally emerged, dazed and breathless, tucked my pencil into the book, tossed the book on the coffee table in disgust, and exclaimed to no one in particular "ARGH! Sudoku is taking over my life!"

Bud perked up on the couch next to me. "No, it's not Sogadutu!" he chirped brightly, "It's MEEE!"

I stand corrected.


Lisa/Jedi said...

Love the reality check! I adore sudoku, too, & am hoping to get my kid hooked as well (hee hee).

ozemum said...

Sneaky little time stealers, aren't they? The latest puzzle book I picked up also had variations like 'bridges' (which I am hopeless at) to suck you in even deeper.