Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I think it was a compliment

I am always looking for opportunities to foster positive feelings in Bud toward pets in general and dogs in particular, not because I especially want a pet, but because it would be nice to be able to accept invitations to more people's homes. So the other day when we were watching a Teletubbies segment that involved puppies and I looked over and saw a wide grin on Bud's face I seized the opportunity.

"I like those puppies," I said.

"Yeah," Bud replied, still grinning.

"Maybe someday we could have a puppy."

"No," he answered, watching the tv intently.

"Maybe someday we could have a kitty."

"No."

"Well," I prompted, trying to keep an open mind, "what kind of pet do you think you might like?"

Bud's eyes never left the screen as he answered matter-of-factly, "Just a mother."

7 comments:

Eileen said...

That's too funny!

I think it was a compliment.

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

That's one of those comments you both will have a good laugh about later in life. Bud is such a joy to read about, what a blessing you have in your life :o)


Kristin

Kristina Chew said...

Better to be a pet than full-time servant, chauffeur, etc.!

SquareGirl said...

I love it when I read a post that truly does make me laugh out loud and this one did! Thanks for sharing your great stories about Bud!

Bonnie Ventura said...

Aw, that is so sweet!

Sounds like he doesn't want to share you with a pet.

MothersVox said...

That is *so* hilarious. Good for him! I have a friend who swears that her ambition in life is to be house pet. Some dogs in our neighborhood get chauffeured to the doggie spa. It doesn't look like a bad gig. ;)

Doug said...

Oh, that is funny. I bet he exercises you adequately.