Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Creative problem solving

Tonight as we were getting ready for bed, I decided to throw a little pretend-play chaos at Bud. I climbed up onto his stool at the sink and announced, "I'm ready to brush my teeth, Mom!"

"No, I'm not Mom," he said. "I'm Bud."

"I'm pretending," I said. "You be Mom and I'll be Bud. I'm ready to brush my teeth, Mom!"

Bud paused, considered the situation, and developed a strategy before he spoke.

"Say, Bud?" he asked.

"Yes?" I replied, eagerly awaiting the rest of his question.

"Can you be Mom?"


Kristina Chew said...

Guess some roles can't be reversed. Though Charlie likes to "play" he's the therapist or me the mom reminding him "wass hanns" or "all done five more minutes beddtime!".

gretchen said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! Don't you get the feeling that they are thinking "what the hell is my mom doing now? I need to bring her back into reality."

kyra said...

hooray for productive uncertainty!

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

I absolutely adore how Bud thinks.


Shawn said...

That is a wonderful story. I love the way he stepped into the game just long enough to ask you to step back out.

Bud showed an incredible amount of insight.