Friday, November 04, 2005

Reading my mind

There are a few things I've read recently that have been on my mind.

This post from Sal at Octoberbabies is the single best piece of writing I've seen to help neurotypicals understand autism. I sent the link to Bud's teacher, and plan to distribute it widely. It should be printed on the front page of the New York Times.

And speaking of the New York Times, this article by Paul Collins, which deals with the difficult decision of giving medication to his son Morgan, appeared there last weekend. Those of us who have struggled with similar decisions will recognize ourselves in the paragraphs. My real hope, though, is that the article will reach a much wider audience and will open the minds of those who have never been there but are nonetheless quick to make judgments about the rest of us.

And though I try desperately not to be conspiracy-minded, I simply cannot stop thinking about articles like this and this.

No comments: