Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

I spent yesterday writing a long post about Bud's amazing development, and yet when I see it in action it still takes me by surprise.

Today was a school holiday, so I brought Bud to the office with me. He loves coming to my office, but usually only accompanies me after hours when no one else is around. Today he was surprised to find a small number of coworkers when we arrived. He was characteristically shy at first, avoiding their eyes and hiding behind my back as they said hello to him, but as the day wore on he grew increasingly more comfortable.

A safety officer whom Bud had never met stopped by on rounds. "Hey there, Big Guy!" he boomed.

"Hi," said Bud.

"How ya doin'?"

"I'm good. How are you?"

Wow.

Later in the day, another coworker whom Bud doesn't know well stopped by to say she was leaving for the day. Bud was at the computer in the room next door to me, and I heard her say as she walked down the hallway, "Goodbye, Bud! Have a nice holiday tomorrow!"

There were a few silent beats, then I heard Bud's voice ring out down the hallway after her, "Bye! Happy Thanksgiving!"

Happy Thanksgiving, indeed.

2 comments:

Wade Rankin said...

Great post. All kids love to hang out with their parents at the workplace. It sounds like this visit was extra special.

Kristina Chew said...

Charlie has that little pause before answering too (it's probably a bit longer---sometimes a minute).

With this and the previous two posts, I have a plentiful share of "food for thought" for the holidays.