Thursday, October 06, 2005

We love us the bad grammar

I've posted previously about Bud's unique speech patterns, and his ability to retrieve sentences from his vast store of tv/ video/ computer scripts, change all appropriate nouns, and slide the adapted scripts into "conversation." He has really honed this particular talent to the point that he can often "pass," and even impress his teachers at school.

"It was so sweet," a teacher will tell me at pick-up time. "Today he told me that I could be his mystery friend and he likes my brown hair."

"Mmm-hmm," I'll reply. "Sesame Street Computer Caper."

Or, they'll meet me at the door with "He did a great job letting me know how he felt. He said his throat is sore and he thinks he needs his medicine."

"Yes," I'll say. "Caillou had the same problem this morning."

But sometimes he uses language that really impresses me and shows me that he is definitely making progress. This weekend we were pitching a tent in the living room and, as he tends to do when he's enjoying an activity, he asked me about it in a "pinch-me-so-I-know-this-is-real" sort of way.

"Mama," he asked with a big grin. "What we are set upping?"

My heart swelled. "What we are set upping?" A phrase never uttered by Elmo or Arthur. A real, honest-to-goodness constructed sentence with a mistake that proves without question that Bud recognizes that there are rules that govern language, and that he is learning to apply them.

"We are setting up the tent!" I announced.

"We are setting up the tent!" he echoed.

We continued our work, and his enthusiasm grew.

"Mama?"

"Yes, Bud?"

"What are we setting up?"

5 comments:

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

He's on his way :o)

mommyguilt said...

Way to go, Bud!

ronnie said...

Way to go Bud.

Camille said...

Can you imagine? He probably thought to himself, "What are we up-setting?" and then thought, "No, that's not what I mean...." Smart little boy you got there.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't wait until my Liam asks me a question like this. Thank you for your blog. It gives me hope.