Sunday, September 18, 2005

Our little liberal

Tonight at dinner I could hear that Bud was reciting something and though it sounded familiar I couldn't quite make it out. I asked him to say it again, and realized that he was blending the beginning of the Pledge of Allegiance, which they say at the start of school, with the end of the Affirmation of Fellowship, which we say at the start of church.

I must admit, I find Bud's version infinitely better than the original. It goes like this:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. May we know once again that we are not isolated beings, but connected, in mystery and in miracle, to the universe, to this community, and to each other."

Amen, Bud.

2 comments:

Susan Senator said...

This is incredibly sweet and perceptive! I am reminded of the time after my son had his bar mitzvah (even though he is fairly severely autistic). I had sometimes wondered to myself, "Did Nat get anything out of that ceremony?" And then he started reciting the Hebrew blessing for the candles at my father-in-law's Christmas dinner! I finally had my answer! These kids are extremely perceptive; they just show it in unusual or hard-to-decipher ways.

mommyguilt said...

I think Bud speaks for all of us. It really is amazing how well our ASD kids pick up on these things. Like Susan Senator said, they just can't necessarily express what they need to in a way that WE understand, but they sure as sunshine get the picture.

Again, I can't tell you how much I am enjoying your site. Glad I found you.