Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Musical tastes

Bud is a big fan of music, and music is a big part of his life. He could work a CD player by the time he was 2, and since that time he has had distinct musical preferences and a vast CD collection of his own. He also has an uncanny ear for melody and could sing in tune well before he talk.

Up until now, his tastes have run from the age-appropriate - the Wiggles, Laurie Berkner, Hap Palmer, Raffi, Sesame Street - to the things he has adopted from the collections of Mama, Daddy, Nana, and Papa, which include Paul McCartney, Sam Bush, John Denver, and the Irish Tenors.

But yesterday he was singing to himself while he was playing, and I started listening to him. It was clearly not a song I'd heard him sing before, but it was somehow familiar: "An she be weeeeeeeeeee be loooooove... an she be weeeeeeeee be loooooove."

"Bud," I said, startled. "Are you singing Maroon 5?"

"An she be weeeeeee be looooooove..."

So I started singing. "Bud, is that the song that goes, "I don't mind spending every day out on your corner in the pouring rain... and she will be loved?"

"Yeah," he said matter-of-factly.

I was flabbergasted. I don't own that CD, and neither does anyone else in the family.

"Where did you hear that song?"

"In the car."

I called to my mother in the other room, "Did you have the radio on in the car today?" She did (which is unusual, because Bud is usually very insistent on listening to his own music in the car, and she usually lets him.) But not only did he hear it and like it, he remembered it well enough several hours later to sing it.

Next thing you know he'll want his own iPod.


Linda said...

My 4 year old is always running around singing "Phantom of the Opera"!

Kristina Chew said...

My parents got Charlie an iPod mini last year--of course, he mostly wants to hear The Gingerbread Boy, some Disney favorites ("Let's get together"--parent trap), Wiggles a bit. I caught him singing "The Letter" by Alex Chilton last week-----kc

Wade Rankin said...

An affinity for music is a common thread in our kids. My son is more of an instrumentalist than a singer. At an early age, he could play a note on a piano, and then find another note or two to make a chord. He has destroyed several plastic bowls, turning them over and drumming in perfect time. If we could only find a music teacher who would be willing to work with an ASD kid, we could see how far he'd go.

supermom said...

That is hilarious. The other day I was driving somewhere with my seven and we had the radio on. Maroon 5's song came on, "This Love" which is one of my faves. Well, he started bopping his head in his car seat and when the bye bye part came, he chimed in "bye bye" waving his hand as he sang. We all started yelling and celebrating. We were all shocked. He continued to add his little chorus all through the song. Maroon 5, who knew?...