Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Breathing again

Another milestone reached. I survived the first day of Kindergarten. Bud, on the other hand, took Kindergarten by storm.

His teacher reports that he had a great day; he talked to kids, he talked to teachers, he even talked to strangers as they took a "field trip" to tour the school. (What she doesn't know and what I haven't told her is that he has been rehearsing lines from the Blues Clues video "Blue Takes You To School" recently, so I imagine a lot of what he was doing was appropriately using scripts - but, hey, any port in a storm, right?) He did have a bathroom accident towards the end of the day - but, heck, with the stress of the day I'm surprised *I* didn't have an accident.

Bud came bounding out of school at the end of the day with a big smile, announcing that "school was fun!" He says his favorite part was when his teacher gave him a kiss. As we bounced toward the car he waved and shouted over his shoulder, "Bye, string cheese! See you tomorrow!" (He brought string cheese in his lunchbox today and apparently only ate half.) In celebration of the day, we sang "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" as loud as we could all the way home.

It's funny. Today is my birthday, but Bud is the one who looks older this afternoon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)These are the moments ...ahhhhhh
JL

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and Bud. Nothing feels so wonderful as a smile delivered by a wonderful experience that my child had.

Octoberbabies said...

Congratulations! Mine both start school next week. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

And happy birthday!

ND said...

AWESOME! All my love XOXOX Happy Birthday MOM!

Amanda Sue said...

aw... sounds like he had a great day. as a pre-k teacher, sometimes of kids w/ special needs, i know it can be so hard on the parents to let their babies go. but he will grow so much this year, and become such a strong and independent little boy.

i love that you shared this. i love the parent perspective.

Kyra said...

WOW!!! happy birthday to you! AND so many hearty congratulations to Bud!! what a STAR! what a milestone day for both of you! yipeee!

Susan Senator said...

I love this! Especially "Bye Bye String Cheese," because it reminded me of when my ASD son (now almost 16) was upset about something (when he was little) but then tried to soothe himself by saying, "Don't worry, hot dogs." At the time he loved hot dogs.