Monday, July 04, 2005

The Cruise-ades

What in the world is going on with Tom Cruise?

As a parent who has struggled with the decision to give my child medication, I am particularly horrified that he seems comfortable not only with dispensing medical advice, but also with passing judgment on people in serious need. And as a professional who has worked with young adults at an age when mental health issues often begin to emerge, I have seen first-hand - repeatedly - the profound difference that good counseling and the right medication can make in helping someone reclaim control of life and restore a sense of balance and well-being.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Tom's erratic behavior turns out to be the manic manifestation of a bipolar disorder? Nothing a little lithium couldn't fix...

4 comments:

gwuinifer said...

bipolar?! are you sure its not megalomania?

*grin*

Amanda Sue said...

HA! that would be pretty righteous...

vetteman said...

The more I see of the real Tom Cruise, the less I want to see!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post. Tom Cruise should mind his own mental health. My child has been helped tremendously by medication.

What I find much more disturbing than Tom Cruise thinking that he knows best in all psychiatric medication issues, is that school personnel are still persisting in giving advice to parents regarding medication. There is still much coercing in this regard. This makes me sick.

Whether parents give their autistic children medications or not is the criteria by which they decide if someone is a good parent and whether they are part of the team.

They aren't doctors. How dare them suggest any child's medication should be changed or the dosage should be upped.