Monday, July 11, 2005

And all the other stuff

I should point out that though I have high hopes and great expectations for RDI, we're not keeping all of our ASD eggs in the RDI basket. The other interventions we are continuing are:

Vitamin supplementation with Super Nu-Thera

Occupational Therapy for Sensory Integration Dysfunction

Wilbarger brushing protocol

Swinging

Sensory diet and visual schedules at school (and sometimes at home)

CranioSacral therapy

Social stories

Adderall for attention deficit (still in trial phase, though with positive results)

Melatonin

Essential oils

Our own "ABA-style" (in quotes because actual practioners of ABA would probably shudder at this assertion; it's much more a flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants sort of thing) reward systems (sticker charts and earned chips) to target very particular goals like using the toilet, writing his name, and going to sleep by himself

And a whole lotta love.

2 comments:

Susan Senator said...

I love the "ABA-style," which would make a practitioner shudder! I have SO been there... I like to think that what we do at home is kind of an ABA meets Floortime!

Mom to JBG said...

That's a familiar sounding list! I have to admit I couldn't stick with the brushing. That's one of the things where I think "Maybe with one I could do it, but with twins I'm letting it go".

We have a combination of homegrown "Verbal Behavior", floortime, and just enough ABA done by an outside professional to really confuse things. Also trying DMG.

It's interesting to find out what is working for other families!