Friday, March 18, 2005

Practicing Bud-ism

I'm learning his language more quickly these days. This one only took me about a week to get.

Bud's been fascinated with my ears lately. More specifically, he's been fascinated with my earlobes. I thought he was taken with my earrings at first, but he's actually drawn more to my ears when I'm not wearing them. The conversations have gone like this:

(Bud, pulling my ears): "Mama, what's this?"

"They're my earlobes."

"It's buttons."

"No, honey, they're called earlobes," (And I say this, embarrisingly enough, in a condescendingly educational tone, as though I think he's too thick to retain the word "earlobe" if, in fact, that's what he means.)

"Mama, what's this? Ear buttons."

And so the conversations have gone. Until last night. He was playing with the little earringless holes in my ears and said "Mama, it's ear buttons."

"It's earlobes, Bud."

"It's ear buttons. Like belly buttons."

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh! I get it!

2 comments:

gwuinifer said...

Gosh, I love your posts. They never fail to make me smile, and I always read them aloud to Tim. My husband, another of those "shy" kids who was very like our boys when he was little, has taken up using "not even wrong" in everyday speech. He said it illustrated so perfectly his frequent misunderstanding/misuse of the english language.

Linda said...

My oldest son still calls breasts, Apples. And he is old enough to know better