Saturday, February 26, 2005

CranioSacral Therapy

I find that deciding on what approach to take with autism is about 10% research and 90% instinct. There are so many treatments out there, and so many children with so many differences who all fall under the "autism" umbrella that it can be extraordinarily overwhemling. (If you have an autistic child, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.)

We've been using Occupational Therapy for Sensory Integration Dysfunction with Bud for over a year, with wonderful results. We've used the Wilbarger brushing protocol (and still do), he sees an OT at preschool, and he has a one-hour OT session outside of school each week. But we've just started a new therapy that I've seen some (but not a lot of) mention of in the autism literature - CranioSacral Therapy.

CST was developed by an Osteopathic doctor (I've always been a fan of DO's over MD's, though Bud's pediatrician is and MD - but I digress), and is practiced by a wide range of practitioners - PT's, OT's, massage therapists, etc. There are a number of reasons why CST seemed like a good match for Bud, and the more I investigated the more the road led back to it. So, we're giving it a try. It's pricey, and not covered by insurance, but if it has positive effects it will (of course) be worth it. He's had two sessions so far - too soon to make any assessment of it's efficacy, but he LOVES it. He mellows right out and just melts right into the therapist. Our first session was last week and when I asked today if he wanted to go back I got an immediate "YES!" I'll continue to post updates on how it's going, and would love to hear from anyone else who has used it.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Tought that I woukld let you know that you are doing a terrific job with your new blog!! Keep up the great work and hope to read more.

My son has recently been diagnosed with PDD-NOS (BTW - LOVE the mom-nos!!) and fortunately he is very high-functioning, and very intelligent, but it is hard dealing the social problems and the behvorior issues!

P.S. I have added you to my blog!

www.adhdmom.net